Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Voice Over Again; have reservations about spending money

Hi everyone.
    So, Barbisi and I are preparing to start up with VO again. The interior of the home does not lend itself to quality audio though. In Colorado we had a large finished basement space which we customized (made a smaller audio space). Here in WA though, the ranch is over a crawlspace; we have single pane windows so use two large portable ACs, no walk in closets, etc. Long story short, we need to build a booth in the garage. We have the space, and I purchased the build plans (only $100) for study, to verify I am capable of completing the build. This is a very heavy booth: around about 5200 lbs. It will cost, estimated, between $4K and $6K, depending on materials used. Fortunately it's modular, so we can build one section at a time; meaning, we buy materials as we go, vs. all in one shot. Nonetheless, I am reluctant to spend money, due to our bankruptcy experience. We may use a credit card to buy materials (and get card points), but we will pay it off immediately. Of course, $4K - $6K is nothing compared to the ridiculous debt we carried when we filed bankruptcy. In addition to the build, there is training, demos, etc. But this does not have to be done all at once.

Still though, I feel like I have 'cold feet' about stepping into this. I would probably feel this way even if we never were bankrupt.
    On the other hand, if I sit on my hands and do nothing, then we'll never know if we could be successful.

What do you all think?
    Thanks

The only thing I would caution against is the rise of the AI-based VO. I hate them; they sound patronizing. In any event you may market as a more natural (human) VO actor. I would love being my own boss and being able to balance my business and personal needs. What is that space like now?

I wish you the best no matter what you decide to do. I think it's pretty cool.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Yes, there is a lot of backlash against AI voices. In our contracts we shall specify that our voices cannot be replicated <insert legalese here>. The work is out there, though effective marketing is required to get it; nothing has changed there. We need to present our unique skills, in order to stand out.
      And thank you!

Comment

I'd go for it, but hey, I'm a bit of a risk taker.

Regarding dialing up the load on the credit cards; prior to last month the most I'd charged in any one month was about $9,000, however, last month was a definite outlier; I haven't added everything up yet, but I'm sure I charged over $30,000. Yeesh! The good news everything is either already paid off or will be in the next couple of days.
        Chapter 13 (not 100%):
        • Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank cum Bank of Southern California
        • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
        • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
        • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
        • 60th Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
        • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
        • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

Comment

Thanks shipo! Yeah that's a lotta debt to rack up in a month. We won't be doing that for sure!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X